There are so many reasons why volunteering is a great idea. It’s an opportunity to help out your community, gain new skills, and make a difference in the world. But that’s not all; there are plenty of other benefits to volunteering. From personal growth to career development, here are 10 reasons why you should consider giving back through volunteer work.
1. Make a Difference – One of the greatest advantages of volunteering is being able to make a difference in your community or in someone’s life. Even small contributions can go a long way towards improving people’s lives and making the world around us better.
2. Gain New Skills – Volunteering is an excellent way to learn new skills and develop existing ones. You don’t have to be stuck with the same set of skills you had when you started; volunteering can open up all kinds of opportunities for personal development and growth.
3. Networking Opportunities – Volunteering can also open up networking opportunities with other volunteers and organizations in your area, as well as potential employers who may be looking for someone with your skill set or experience level. By getting involved in different activities and groups, you can expand your network and find new opportunities that otherwise may not have been available to you.
4. Meet New People – Volunteering gives you the chance to meet like-minded individuals from all walks of life who share similar interests or goals as you do. This can help create lasting friendships that could last for years beyond your volunteer experience!
5. Feel Good About Yourself – There is nothing quite like knowing you made a difference in someone else’s life through volunteer work – this feeling itself is enough motivation for some people to keep coming back every week! Plus, it’s always nice knowing that what you do makes a positive impact on those in need.
6. Get Out of Your Comfort Zone – We all need a little push outside our comfort zone now and then – volunteering provides just that! It offers an opportunity explore new hobbies or interests while still feeling safe within the confines of an organization or team environment where anyone can feel welcome and accepted regardless of their background or current lifestyle choices!
7. Expand Your Horizons – Volunteering can provide an even greater opportunity to expand your horizon by learning about different cultures, customs, languages etc.
8. Get Work Experience – Volunteering provides an ideal chance to get real-world experience in your chosen field. Many StudentsCare volunteers go on to pursue careers in the medical field, In fact, 90% of them say that StudentsCare reinforced their decision to take up a career in medicine.
“NOT MANY OPPORTUNITIES ALLOW FOR THE PERSONAL GROWTH I ACQUIRED DURING MY TIME AS A BUDDY. THERE WERE A LOT OF DIFFICULT TIMES IN WHICH I COULDN’T DO MUCH BESIDES JUST BEING THERE FOR A PATIENT. I LEARNED TO VALUE THE MOMENTS WHEN GAMES COULD BE PLAYED AND LAUGHTER SHARED. I LEARNED WHAT IT MEANT TO SUPPORT A FAMILY EVEN IF IT ONLY FOR A QUICK COFFEE BREAK. I APPRECIATE MY TIME AS A BUDDY BECAUSE I GOT TO CONNECT WITH STRONG CHILDREN FIGHTING HARD TO OVERCOME THEIR DISEASES. IN STUDENTSCARE, I COULD SEE THE DIRECT IMPACT MY PRESENCE HAS ON A FAMILY. THE KNOWLEDGE THAT DOING SOMETHING SMALL, LIKE PLAYING UNO OR PAINTING A PICTURE, COULD BE MEANINGFUL, INSPIRED ME TO KEEP PURSUING MEDICINE.” – StudentsCare Volunteer
9. Improve Your Resume – Volunteering looks great on resumes because it shows employers that applicants are dedicated individuals with strong work ethics who care about making a difference in their communities and the world at large – something any employer or graduate school would love to see in an applicant.
10. Have Fun! Last but not least – volunteers often get chances to share fun experiences they wouldn’t otherwise get if they weren’t giving back their time. There really is no limit when it comes having fun while making a difference.
There really are so many amazing benefits associated with volunteering – both personal growth-wise as well as professionally speaking. So next time someone asks why they should volunteer – show them this list of 10 reasons why. From making a difference in others’ lives, gaining new experiences, making new friends, having fun & more — there truly is something for everyone when it comes to volunteering. Go ahead and give it try today !